Monday 15 August 2016

After the lows of the past few weeks, an element of high and a general improvement in my mood. The start of the transition from the old me to the new me is taking shape - lots of little changes are happening on a daily basis. I feel more confident in myself and changes that are happening.

So, what is the high? I shall explain. A couple of good friends of mine got engaged a few months ago and have decided to tie the knot later on this year. Another wedding to go to! We love a good wedding. However, there is a little bit more to this wedding, for me at least. We were having a drink, not long after the announcement, when the subject of a chief bridesmaid was mentioned. I thought that they were asking my opinion and nothing more at this point and thought no more about it.

A few weeks passed and we went for another drink. The subject of a chief bridesmaid was bought up again. Only this time, I was asked if I would be chief bridesmaid, or officially, Maid of Honour. To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement. I asked if they were sure, I got a positive answer and I accepted. Me, a Maid of Honour. A massive endorsement of my transition and a massive challenge!

It is a very daunting prospect, given I've spent most of my life in a male role and have been thrust fully into a whole new world of hen parties, bridesmaid dresses and wedding planning. A massive and steep learning curve, but one that I fully relish and an positively excited by. I get to wear a pretty dress, have my hair done and be an integral part of the wedding. I know it's not going to be all plain sailing and there will be hiccoughs along the way, but I get to wear a pretty dress!!

There is a lot to think about and a lot of people to organise and contact with the hen do. Costings, budgets, locations.............all in a short space of time. It's going to be a mammoth task, for me especially and I just hope I get it right. Time will tell.

Outside of the wedding planning, life is better. I am still feeling lonely and a bit down, but my mood is lifting. I have achieved a few milestones recently, going out to more places as myself and meeting more people as myself. That is another confidence booster. One big booster was a charity quiz, run by a work colleagues. A few of my work colleagues would be there, an ex manager, my area manager and some staff from another store. I had to go a bit in disguise as a few customers were also there!

The evening was a success and passed without incident. I have also recently been to a local support group in a nearby city. It is good for me to have support from my peers during my transition as they will have first hand experience of the road ahead. It is a friendly and informal atmosphere where people of all stages are welcome. I will be going at least once a month (hopefully) and it will be a welcome distraction in the months ahead.

Things are going in the right direction at the moment. I'm not getting to ahead of myself, as I know how quickly things can change. And change they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment