Thursday 19 May 2016

Well, what an eventful couple of months. Busy, busy, busy. Much has happened to further my cause, a few outings, lots of major changes planned. The ball is well and truly rolling!

February and March weren't the best of months. A combination of factors, as explained in a previous post, left me feeling lonely and low. Things are taking their toll in certain areas, but at present, there is nothing I can do to change things. Hopefully over time, things will improve, but I'm not holding out much hope. Life does go on though, things will change, the permanent me 3.0 is coming very soon!

So, what's been happening? If you're interested, read on.............!
March was a wash out, socially. The only plus point was telling work of my transition. I was very apprehensive about telling them as I was afraid of the reaction. It's one of the hardest things I've had to do. I'd asked my area manager for a private meeting a week before. The week leading up to it wasn't good. I was on edge, snappy and generally grumpy. I know that, under UK law I have certain protection, but it still makes you wonder what could happen. Will they try and force me out? Will I lose my job? How will I support myself? These and a few other doomsday questions kept me awake at night on numerous occasions.

The day came. To say I was on edge was an understatement. My area manager arrived and we went into the office. My heart was beating so fast, I thought it was going to explode out of my chest! We sat down and.......I told them. The reaction? The best I could have hoped for. Understanding and the promise of support. A massive weight off of my mind. I had prepared a employers information pack from the Gender Identity Research and Education Society (GIRES) which explains the duties of an employer and an overview of what is involved.

We had a chat about certain issues and what the next step would be. In my case, telling my immediate manager and the staff. For my Area manager, informing head office and the HR department. I asked my manager into the office and told them. They had an inkling that something was up and this was one of the things that they had thought might be happening. Again, support and understanding. I gave them the same pack as I had given my area manager. Next, the staff. As I expected, they were fine with it. It was a case of: 'Is that it?'

In the subsequent days, we agreed on a timescale for me working as me 3.0 full time and made a list of work related issues to deal with. I have to put a statement out to the local branches, which will towards the end of August, explaining the situation and asking staff to use the correct pronouns and greetings. Then, in September, I will be leaving work as me 1.0 and after a 2 week holiday, be going back as me 3.0. I have provided work with an overview of the procedure's involved and the process that I will have to go through and the appointments that I will have to attend. As there is currently no policy in place for Transgender staff, I have the chance to influence the policy at it's infancy. Go me!

Now it's a case of counting down the days, weeks and months until me 3.0, is finally here permanently. There are certain things that I have to do beforehand, like changing my name and living outside of work full time as much as I can. There are things that I have to achieve for my own personal satisfaction so that I can move forward. There is a lot to do, organise and buy to move onto the next step. I'm on the road to be the person I should have been. Me 1.0 hasn't got long left now! 

I shall update you on April in the next couple of days.




No comments:

Post a Comment